Re: schmidt

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on September 23, 2003 at 10:06:30:

In Reply to: schmidt posted by ioe on September 23, 2003 at 09:35:08:

Joe,

The value is up to you to decide. $3500 is not that much for a new tuba. Take someone with a good ear and a tuner and try one out. Remember also, this tuba does not have to last forever. Even though all of us would like to say we are purchasing our "last" horn, very few of us really are. Our playing abilities and requirements change over time. Do not think that you will have to serve a life sentence with a horn, but don't settle for anything less than what you really want/need also.

On an aside, please invest a little more time in stating you thoghts a little more clearly. You are an education major, from what I read in a previous post, and that requires succint and clear communication of thoughts and ideas. Per this posting you are looking to buy a "schmidt" vavle only that is 17" high and 18 lbs. with a .770 bore and no case. Per that I would respond:

Why do you want just one valve?

A 17" valve weighs much more than 18 lbs. and should have a bore greater than .770, but alas I do not know the units of measurement.

Why do you need a case for a valve?

A valve will probably not make a good tuba.

$3500 is not much money for a valve with a dimension of 17" in height. These valves (usually used in steam and power generation plants) run between $20K and $50K.

Remember, clear communication is the best media for proper education.

Follow Ups: