Recording eqpt results

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on September 29, 2003 at 14:03:38:

I bought new recording equipment a few weeks ago; I had had a Sharp minidisk with an AT822 mike in the past.
This time, I went to our best local music store and asked questions and then thought about it for a week. What I got was the Rode stereo mike (<$400), a Tascam pro level CD writer (~$350) and a BlueTube pre-amp (~130.)
I am positively delighted with the result. The recordings with the previous setup always sounded kind of "dead," even if the input volume was correct. Something indefinable but definitely audible was lacking. I use the BlueTube in both the ways it is designed for...the "drive" knobs are just slightly above zero; and the "gain" knobs are where they need to be to get the recording level optimal on the CD writer.
My total output with accessories (mike stand, tax, whatever) was less than $1000. Now, this is a lot for a student...but for somebody who has leanings towards higher quality recordings, I highly recommend this setup. It sounds better than local "professional" studio recordings I've heard, that people paid as much for as I paid for my equipment.

I'm thinking of putting a card up on some bulletin boards, offering to do audition CD's. It records low brass very well.

MA

Follow Ups: