Re: R. Vaughan Williams Concerto`

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on April 06, 1999 at 17:53:17:

In Reply to: R. Vaughan Williams Concerto` posted by Derek Lamb on April 05, 1999 at 19:48:05:

Congratulations! I can see how big an honor this is for you. When I was in HS, I would have killed to get that kind of chance. I played both the 1st and the 3rd movements when I was in HS. I will admit though, I didn't do the Concerto justice at that age.
One thing to remember, something I was told when I was that age, but didn't listen. Don't TRY to impress. Music is not about impressing (mostly) it is about the music itself. ESPECIALLY the 2nd movement of the Concerto. So, spend some time (gasp!) singing this particular movement. Really belt it out like an italian tenor would. Then, try singing it like someone would sing it, if they were only singing it for themselves, to themselves. Of course, you could sing it like it is a musical sonnet you are singing to your true love. Whatever, but really try to connect with the piece. It is one of my favorites.
For the longest time, I wanted to play it 5 to 10 clicks too slow. But see, that was just it, it was TOO SLOW. Try to take it somewhere around 60 bpm. 58 is fine.
You must have a fantastic band/orchestra program at your school. I doubt MY band/orchestra could have played it, though that doesn't mean much. I hope they do it justice, and don't step all over the soloist.

Good Luck!

cdo

Follow Ups: