Re: small cars that carry large tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 04, 2001 at 01:16:56:

In Reply to: small cars that carry large tubas posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 02, 2001 at 23:31:03:

OK then, it's settled - I'll buy the one you guys recommended!

But seriously...

*used is not an option. I belong to the "buy it new and keep it at least 10 years" crowd.

*the Mini Cooper is definitely on the "think about it" list - it may be too far in
the future

*trucks and 5.5 liter engines? Not my style. I did truly love the flat-6 1954 Hudson, but remember my comment that a re-incarnated 240Z is my current ideal

*the VW GTI has gone up a notch, now that I have a report that my 621 will fit in the rear compartment with the rear seats up. Both the new Jetta Wagon (more like a stretch Golf) and the New Beetle lose ground (for opposite reasons). Essentially, If I'm going to have 4 seats, I'd like to use them some of the time.

*contradicting that last thought, the Integra GSR is looking better and better. I'd like it better as a frank 2-seater, but...

*PT Snoozer? Cool looking, but the innards don't deliver on the promise. It's a mini-van, after all!

*Rick brings up 'burus - the coming WRX had promise, until I looked at one. Even then, note that I care not a fig for off-road capability (or pretending to have off-road capability). I"m much more likely to be found in a Mini Cooper (BMW-lite) than anything that wants to go to the Outback. All of my tuba-toting destinations can be reached over civilized paved roads (and even though I now live in Alabama, I still remember how to drive on snow and ice without all-wheel-drive.

*this may all come down to a tradeoff between HP and handling. I fear that the new Mazda 5 Door Sport (AKA Protege Wagon) may be too underpowered for my taste. I may not be able to resist a 200HP GTI with the new 6-speed gearbox. "zoom zoom", indeed!

Seen the pix of the Honda Civic Type R? Sigh...only available in Europe. Maybe I could pick up the car and the Gronitz in one trip?

Excellent comments folks - even the ones that veered far afield!

Ken "Datsun was doomed when they went to a 2+2" Sloan

Follow Ups: