small cars that carry large tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 02, 2001 at 23:31:03:

My search for a new car continues (and will probably continue to continue for at least another year). The basic problem is that I need a small "interesting" car...that can handle a tuba or two. (automatic transmissions and land yacht handling need not apply)

A few words on my automotive history. In the beginning, there was the 1954 Hudson (the last of the big ones - the subsequent Ramblers don't count). The perfect car for a Sousaphone player. Then, a short stint with a 1964 Plymouth Valiant (don't ask...) And then...the perfect car for me - a 1971 Datsun 240Z. Extravagantly large accomodations for 2. It cost something like 25% of my yearly salary and was absolutely perfect. But then I went to grad school, which meant that maintenance was neglected, and when it rusted out in Rochester, NY it was clear that we needed 4 doors - so we bought a 1978/9 Saab 99. Another good tuba car - but I wasn't playing tuba, then. That car lasted through Boston, and Seattle. By the time it died, we had become a 2 car (and 2 child) family. My wife's 1987 Taurus Wagon made the trip to Birmingham, and I went looking for something moderately practical that would be acceptable for commuting in hilly terrain, melting miles, and carry all 4 of us when necessary. The 1990 Mazda Protege was an excellent choice, and it turns out that the trunk is big enough to handle my new Yamaha 621 tuba, in its hard case. But, it takes a bit of wiggling - tuba players need hatchbacks on small cars - trunks have inconveniently sized openings (the 1954 Hudson trunk would be no problem - but I don't really want a land yacht; my wife's current ride, a 1997 Mercury Sable Wagon, fills that role.)

So...I'm back in the market for a small car suitable for both personal commuting and mile-melting (say, the drive from Birmingham to DC for TUSAB TEC) with the added restriction that it be big enough to easily swallow whatever tuba I might acquire over the next 10 years or so. I no longer need 4 doors, or even 4 seats. The 1971 Datsun 240Z would be perfect. I'm probably not enough of an enthusiast to maintain a "classic original", so I'm only considering new models. Preferably those that cost less than 25% of my annual salary. (so, the BMW Z3 is out of the question, even if a tuba *would* fit - even a 3-series BMW SportWagon is stretching the budget.)

Nissan is about to revive the Z, returning to the "affordable" range after the disaster of trying to follow Porsche up the food chain. Alas, they don't seem to remember the "personal GT" style, and the new Z looks like the storage space will be too small. Maybe (he hoped...)

Saab appears to have gone over to the dark side (GM) and doesn't look cost-effective.

The Integra hatchback looks like a possibility. Now that I'm old and soft, I'd probably go for the GSR rather than the Type R. We'll have to see what the new design looks like. It *might* be the closest thing to the old Z.

Leading candidates come from VW - the GTI and the new Jetta Wagon. I'm interested in comments from any tubists who own GTI's or Golfs - would my 621 hard case fit behind the rear seats? Or, do I permanently fold down the rear seats and treat it as a 2-seater? That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you - just curious. If it's necessary to fold down the seats, the New Beetle becomes a possibility. But, the GTI (esp the one projected for 2002) is the current default choice.

Finally, the Mazda Protege has been very good to me. Not nearly enough "pep" to be truly exciting - but it's done all of its jobs for me well, from single commutor to soccer/lacrosse Dad. So much so that 6 months ago I said "if only Mazda made a Protege Wagon". Well...they do now! I'm eager to see how it's powered and how it handles - it's a possibility, but I suspect that the VW GTI or the new Jetta Wagon will win out on both performance and luxury. In this price range, I'm not particularly price sensitive, so I'm likely to opt for power and creature comforts.

So...what else should I consider? Start with the idea that an updated car with the same features as the 1971 Datsun 240Z would be perfect. Just the thing for a tubist and flutist to tool around in (now that the eupher is about to go off to college, and the trombone player is nearing the age of having his own car). Don't forget that the Sable Wagon is there to handle family outings and the "soccer/lacrosse Mom" heavy lifting.

The new Z probably won't make the cut - but if I wait that long to make a decision I might consider losing the hard case and seeing if a gig bag would allow a tuba to fit in its rear. So, I suppose I should also consider such as the Audi TT (oops...sticker shock!) And, there's always the possibility that the 621 might make way for a BAT that won't fit, even in a gig bag.

Suggestions?

Follow Ups: