Re: BBb vs. CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on April 11, 2001 at 06:52:13:

In Reply to: BBb vs. CC posted by Brant on April 10, 2001 at 18:30:46:

It really comes down to what suits you and the playing you are doing. In the mid 60's I was studying with Jake and using a King "Monster" 4RV BBb (c1929). He liked it so much that the only way I got mine out of his basement was to promise to get one for him. The old King beat the York hands down on the bottom end, then matched it until you got to the top where the York came a bit ahead. Jake's advice was stick with it. I used the one horn for all kinds of work from trad jazz, symphonic band, Chicago Brass Quintet, orchestra, solo etc. On occassion I would use a shallow cup mouthpiece if I wanted a smaller or brighter sound or had a lot of top end work. The instrument I got for Jake ended up going to the Denver Symphony when John needed an axe real bad. I did also have an F, having swapped my 5V Alex for Jakes 7 valve Alex (virtually a "double" 4 valve F which became a 3 valve left handed CC when the F 4th valve was held down) which he used a lot to keep Fritz R happy and on such things as the Stravinsky Fairy's kiss. As Jake put it, the sound concept in your mind will basically determine what comes out of the horn. BUT, he did add that there are times when you vary the equipment to suit the job.
When I was studying with Harvey Phillips a few years later I had occassion to use a CC with no chance to "convert". I was doing some repairs on the King and had it in many pieces in my workshop at the conservatory when Harvey told me he had a recording gig for me to do that afternoon. There was no way I could put the King back together in time so I borrowed on of Harvey's Conn CC's and headed for the studio. It gave me just the sound which was wanted for the job, a bit smaller and brighter than the King. While I was in Boston I continued using the CC for most of my playing. There is no better way to make the change in a hurry than to take the new horn on the job, you have to play the music based on what is in your head, not experiment and convince yourself to feel strange from playing a strange horn. I used to use Jakes tubas for most of my lessons to save carting mine 30 miles across Chicago on trains busses and shanks ponies. Often it would be 2 or 3 in a lesson just to make sure I was playing music and not just tuba.
Years later, while playing in an Army band here in Australia we did an album of marches, half Alford (British) and half Sousa. I used a Boosey Eb for the Alford side but was asked to bring the King in for the Sousa side as it just changed the whole sound of the band a bit. I could get pleny of sound out of either instrument, or play pretty lightly, but there was a difference.

It seems there are a lot of good BBb, CC, F & Eb instruments about now so try several of each and find what suits you and gives you the output you are after. Also download and listen to Jakes masterclass, it might help.

P.S. If you are tuned in John, drop me a line - Ive been trying to locate you.

Follow Ups: