Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stereo equipment poll

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 14, 2001 at 13:44:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stereo equipment poll posted by Brian Frederiksen on April 14, 2001 at 08:46:21:

Yes, I'm very proud of that "4-channel Ready" sticker. You can see that I try to stay on the bleeding edge of technology.

I don't remember what the thing cost (it certainly wasn't "top of the line" at the time) but it seems to have turned out to be cost-effective.

My recollection is that we paid a fair amount of attention to the concept of putting most of the money into the speakers and a good "receiver", with some attention paid to the flexibility of the reciever. This particular model has lots of input/outputs available for adding various bells and whistles. The bells and whistles have varied over the years, and I can't remember most of the things that have been attached to it - but the receiver and speakers have remained unchanged for over 30 years. If they are failing, they are failing at the same rate as our ears.

I must confess that the major reason for choosing this particular model was a nicely integrated "graphical equalizer" (5 sliders). This was fairly "high tech" at the time (don't laugh) - and has turned out to be quite useful.

and...I think it paid off to pay attention to *matching* the speakers to the reciever (amp) AND to always consider the size room that the system was designed for. I don't think the single "volume control" knob has every been set higher than 40% of maximum. We want to make sure the speakers are in tip-top condition when the salesman from Princeton calls to make the swap for the speakers we actually paid for...

Ken "0. new car 1. kids' college, 2. Gronitz, 3. new home stereo" Sloan

Follow Ups: