Re: Re: Re: Worst compensation for a gig?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 16, 2001 at 18:48:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Worst compensation for a gig? posted by Leland on April 16, 2001 at 17:57:38:

Normally I'd agree with your point but the last few years it has been clear to me that many of the people we entertain simply don't value our contribution to that endeavor. They just take it for granted that we'll always be there and that there's no place else for us to go. Building a great orchestra isn't like buying a World Series championship team, you can't just buy the best musicians and end up with the best ensemble. The years that go into cultivating a great ensemble go by without much notice and the change can be so gradual that people don't notice. But when you finally have a veteran ensemble and most everybody has 10+ years on the job, magical things happen and the public, by and large, takes it for granted if they even notice at all. It just makes me believe that we have a long way to go in educating our audiences so that they don't take what we do for granted and are not tempted to treat us in a way that ends up becoming a story in the thread "Worst Compensation for a Gig Ever?". Time to go play Brahms 2 (what a therapy!).

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: