a concept...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on April 19, 2001 at 18:24:34:

Just wondering if some of you master-craftsmen out there could comment on the cost and cost-effectiveness of:

Taking one of them low-priced Weril CC horns

Modifying the lead-pipe to go straight into the valveset.

Moving the tuning slide to the other side of the valveset... ideally this would require taking off that outer branch in the back(the upper portion of it), then you could have the tubing come up the left side(as you hold it in playing position) of the horn, curve over the top bow, down the back, and enter the rest of the horn as it already is.

Why do this?

Well, for 1, shorter AND straighter distance from leadpipe to valveset.

Also, you could move the MAIN TUNING SLIDE with your left hand while you play(like on Dale's pretty horn).

The upper register on the Weril CC (middle C to the F above it) tends to be pretty flat, and seems to be the most(or only, in my case) limiting factor on this horn as a small CC solo/chamber group horn. Ideally, with the ability to move the main tuning slide, this factor could be overcome.. (or couldn't it? That's why I'm posting, I guess)

Anyhoo, rather than let my Weril tuba sit in the closet and collect dust next year, I'd be more than happy to volunteer it to any craftsman willing to take on such a task(assuming the cost of such a project wouldn't equate the cost of an HB-21, or something)...

Anthony

Follow Ups: