Re: Re: German F syndrome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 20, 2001 at 07:48:00:

In Reply to: Re: German F syndrome posted by Art on April 19, 2001 at 23:20:39:

With respect and no facts to back up my position, I disagree. My Nirschl has an incredible amount of expansion after the valveset. In fact, this characteristic is one of the distinguishing traits for all of the York copy instruments, many of which are very highly regarded. Now, if you mean that this incredible amount of expansion after the valveset is coupled with an overly long leadpipe, thus creating a very long stretch of near cylindrical tubing which is followed by a huge expansion (that would be occurring in a relatively shorter length of tubing), then I might be inclined to GUESS that you might be onto something. Maybe among all the variables to consider, the spacing of the conical expansion of the overall tube is the least understood. Does anyone know of any scholarly work done that analyzes the effects of varying the expansion in a conical tube and how that variance effects the playing characteristics of a given conical instrument? Sounds like a convincing doctoral thesis to me!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: