Re: The Cost of Tution, OUCH!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tuba mom on April 23, 2001 at 08:53:32:

In Reply to: The Cost of Tution, OUCH! posted by Broke One on April 20, 2001 at 11:56:09:

They have admitted you. Have you gotten a copy of your aid package yet? $20,000 is a lot of money, unless your parents are pretty well off, you should get some kind of aid offers. Please tell me your parents did fill out the infamous FAFSA (which told me that my expected family contribution should be about 15% of my gross income and what rocket scientist decided that a single parent making 50.000/year is more able to afford college for their kid then a married couple making 100,000/year? Sorry I digress).

There is also the specter of what is termed admit/deny. Schools will tell you that they don't do this but some do. What happens is they will admit a student who dosen't have a snowballs chance of getting the financing and they offer them no aid, effectively denying admission. It's just a way for them to crunch their admission statistics.

Anyway, if you don't get any aid you really might want to consider a state school for a couple of years. My son is going to attend Uof D next year and the savings for instate tuition is about $8,000.00. There were several students that auditioned for tuba and I know that some scholarships were offered. At schools where tubas are scarce, there may be a bit more money available for a good tubist. My son heard some of the auditions and told me that there were a few very good tubists trying out for the scholarships (he didn't get one, lucky for him he wants to major in computer engineering and minor in music).

And if I never see another acronym (FAFSA, EFC, PLUS, UNSUB, DUN) it'll be too soon.

Follow Ups: