Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About different cultures

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on April 25, 2001 at 20:50:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: About different cultures posted by Chuck Jackson on April 23, 2001 at 21:23:01:

I have been on this side of the musical unemployment line for a relatively short time, but there is one observation which has come to mind. When I hear a collegue play something well, I have rarely if ever asked myself what kind of horn they are using. I have heard 8 valved F's and 3 valved BB's which were played beautifully. I have also heard musicians play 6/4 Yorkbrunners and gold plated Yamaha's which had off days.

The notion that you have to play brand Z of tuba to win a job is wrong. On the otherhand, I do notice trends such as PT-88 mouthpieces for tubists and Bach trumpets for trumpet players which is in part necessitated by what our American ears have grown accustommed to hearing.

I and several others have commented in the past about the dud of a horn design Meinl Weston came out with in the older 2155 rotary CC around 10 years ago or so. The thing was foggy to play and had intonation challenges. There was a gentleman who studied with one of my first teachers who recently won a position with that exact same instrument by a unanimous vote. How could "faulty" equipment succeed? The equipment did not succeed, the musician did.

Play whatever you want, but do the audience a favor and do it well. If you happen to be at an audition I am at, then do it badly. :)

sean

Follow Ups: