Re: covering for an electric bass player..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on April 25, 2001 at 21:21:28:

In Reply to: covering for an electric bass player.. posted by Mark McMahon on April 25, 2001 at 10:22:06:

I agreed to do Barnum & Bailey for a week and a half a few years ago. I brought my tuba and INDEED most ALL of the parts were TUBA (fast 'n' furious) parts.

The band leader guy told me that he wanted me to NOT play tuba, but ELECTRIC BASS !!!

I went home after the rehearsal break and got the old Fender "Jazz".

Playing all of those runs and other "chicken patter" on electric bass in those galops (again, TUBA parts) was one of the most challenging gigs that I ever played, due to almost everything being NON-characteristic for the electric bass. Very fortunately for me, my ability to play electric bass stems from many years of classic guitar training, so my time spent on "Segovia Scales" FINALLY paid off (all of the sudden)!

I know that I am braggart and can't seem to stop being one, but the guy DID ask me if I wanted to go on the road (yeah right, and live on a train) with them, so I must have done OK.

Joe "whose 'tough' gig was just the opposite situation from the one you encountered" S.

Follow Ups: