Ensemble minus one

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by END OF MY ROPE! on April 27, 2001 at 10:21:13:

I don't want to sound rude, but I don't know any other way to put it.
I am currently in a small chamber ensemble. All of us except for one person know our parts and can function as an ensemble. One person in the group, however, does not seem to care enough to practice the parts to the point where they can fit in with the rest of us. It's always the same excuse, "I just can't do it. Sorry."
Being the "leadership" type person, I have tried everything! I have been encouraging, I have tried different rehearsal tactics, everything. I don't know what else to try. I am getting very frustrated, but my colleagues seem satisfied with a less than valuable musical experience and seem intent on telling the other person that "it's okay, you sound great," because obviously the person needs "encouragement." In fact, now I am blamed for the group's problems because I was expecting too much I guess.
Anyone ever dealt with this? Not only am I not getting the musical experience I would like, but I am wasting valuable time and getting a low grade in an important class because of this.
Any help / advice / experiences would be SO MUCH appreciated!
ps: I'm NOT perfect by any means, a clarification, for fear of sounding like I think that.

Follow Ups: