Re: Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by i disagree wholeheartedly on April 29, 2001 at 10:20:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN! posted by reality check on April 29, 2001 at 00:15:33:

hi
well I would like to say that I completely disagree with your comment. First of all, many tubists both professional and semi-professional are very interesting individuals with many different aspects to their personalities that not only make them unique as people, but this also effects the music that they choose to play and how they choose to play it. Second, I am sick of tired of our literature being ripped on; it's hard to write tuba music; for those of us that play it, it's even harder to sell tuba music. Transcriptions are fine, but our original solo repertoire has some great stuff. For instance, the oboe world has the beautiful poulenc sonata, well we have the casterede, the clarinets have the copland concerto, we have vaughan williams, the saxophones have the creston sonata, we have the three miniatures, the trumpets have the tomasi triptyque, we have the penn 3 essays. If you ever listen to some solo tuba-euph lit, it's great. For all you big band jazz guys out there, your not gonna like it that much because it's just in an entirely different genre. The tuba solo approaches a form of music that is generally contemporary yet tonal (so we find elements of neo-baroque, neo-romanticism, etc.) all used without confine so that what we get is a free use of harmony and dis-harmony (alec wilder anyone?) The end result is awesome. You just have to remember that this is solo instrument in a chamber setting. You can't compare it to listening to an orchestra or to a big band, you have to compare it to other instrumental solo rep (and eventually, vocal solo rep is what you're after.) I think that our rep. is fine, just keep it coming all you composers out there.

me

Follow Ups: