Re: Re: Re: Re: cure for noisy pistons?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 18, 2002 at 19:26:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: cure for noisy pistons? posted by Rick Denney on April 18, 2002 at 14:09:33:

Some maker, Yamaha if I remember right, had the original set of springs fitting tightly into the recess milled around the hole in the bottom piston caps on some of their 2xx and 3xx series instruments. That made the springs sit "co-axial" until wear and distortion had their way.

All makers could do this, but as replacement springs very often are not of the original versions, long term solutions of the spring-noise problem hardly would come that way.

I have a mixed set of opions on Boosey & Hawkes/Besson. I do not like their business attitude, and the level of final inspection of their products is at least varying. However they come up with something good from time to time.

That I like my Besson 981 Eb is no secret. And among its many features are the spring dampers, small synthetic soft "washers" sitting in the bottom cap and in the bottom of the piston. Preventing springs from contact with metal.

Even if these dampers are of a narrower diameter than those of the pistons of my Conn and York BBb's, I ordered sets for these instruments as well. There they work well for me.

Klaus

Follow Ups: