Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need a new tuba!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 02, 2003 at 18:41:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need a new tuba! posted by Brad on April 02, 2003 at 16:34:07:

Forget marching. Use the sousaphones (which are better than any convertible tuba anyway).

Get your own 4/4 tuba, such as a used Miraphone or Cerveny or whatever. Baltimore Brass is advertising a couple of old Miraphones for $2200. Sure, they have a few dents, but not as bad as what you have and not so that they don't play well. Even dented they are on a different planet than any convertible tuba. Play it for everything that doesn't require marching, and then keep it. I'd take a $2200 Miraphone any day of the week over a $5600 convertible, no matter how shiny.

You won't be able to have a tuba in basic training or, probably, flight school, but you'll sure be able to have it while you are in the Air Force, unless you are in combat.

But even if you decide to sell it, it will get you the same as what you paid for it, which will NOT be the case with any convertible marching tuba, however good.

If the school is determine to make itself a place without music, then there is nothing you can do about it. But you don't have to let them control your choices.

By the way, I played a school-owned sousaphone all through high school, and on a borrowed tuba during my one year of college playing. When I started playing as an adult 8 years later, I bought my own tuba. I played everything on that sousaphone, including solo contest, because it was all I had. Our public school was in even worse condition than your school.

Bottom line: If you want to be musical, then do it. It is your choice--don't let someone else make that choice for you. If your parents won't support it (which they might not want to or be able to--that's their choice), then save your pennies and do it for yourself.

Rick "wondering why classrooms need carpet" Denney

Follow Ups: