Re: Re: Re: Re: Brook-Mays

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by OH, the 186 I had on April 03, 2003 at 15:22:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Brook-Mays posted by CK on April 03, 2003 at 11:40:52:

OH, the 186 I had was a 5 valve with a left handed 5th which worked out pretty good because I had to play w BBb in band in 1972 because they director not let me use the CC. Having the 5th on the left hand made it easy to switch between the BB and CC.
Made kind of a nice way to mentally switch gears. Left index finger on trigger, CC. There were a couple of times in orchestra I started a song on BB fingerings on my CC.
He would just stop and ask me what was wrong and I would just tell him right tuba wrong fingerings and to just start again.

I was the only one with a CC and the director said I would have to convince the other 4 tuba players to buy CC's as well. We averaged 115 to 120 back then in Symphonic Band and it was the First group. Wind Ensemble was by invitation only and only did 2 concerts a year. I actually was the only tuba player there that owned his own tuba. All the others in both bands played BBb Miraphones and we used Conn sousaphones. Great Band, Wind Ensemble, marching band and so so orchestra. We had concert band and what we called leftover or lizard band as 3rd band. 26 tuba players my first year at my college including Marching band.

Follow Ups: