Re: Re: Re: Brook-Mays

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CK on April 03, 2003 at 11:40:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Brook-Mays posted by js on April 03, 2003 at 00:28:05:

i only found tubas at Wichita Band, H&H at that downtown Houston store and then got told about Mr Cullen through a tuba friend in Houston that bought one from him. I never knew what the price was for the tuba separately. I just told him I wanted a case and gig bag too and he gave me the price and I wrote him a check. I drove alot of miles to the 3 places. H&H was around 90, College Station was around 60 and Wichita was a long way off. I did go to Louisiana and play an individuals tuba but just didnt like it.

In all 3 places, I never got to play anything other than a Miraphone. That was all they had back then in stock. Mr Cullen had more tubas than H&H and Wichita Band did put together in the one room and had more in the garage. He had BB's, CC's, Eb's and F's.

It was a fun day. I played alot of 188's and 186's and found one 186 that played better than all of them and when I sold it 25 years later it still had 75% of its very yellowed lacquer and still played well and sold it for $4500 with a better case and a better gig bag and only had 3 dents in it.

It was a great 5 valve 186 CC and played well in the upper register. Lower register was a little tight, wonderful sound.

Follow Ups: