Speaking of Chicago Tubists.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brent Herhold on April 04, 2003 at 15:04:32:

Back in the fifties I studied with a gentleman by the name of Chuck Guse (sp?) and I'd be curious to know if any of you "older Chicagoans" might remember him. He played with the Lyric Opera orchestra and freelanced in the Chicago area. I used to go to his house, one evening-a-week, and we would spend a couple of hours having a lesson, playing duets, and schmoozing about being a musician. He was a wonderful influence, and he went the extra mile by making phone calls to get me positions with groups in the Chicago area; I was still in high school and was playing in three local amateur orchestras and the Roosevelt University Band. It might be interesting to note that he played BBb instruments and never mentioned CC tuba during the time I knew him (he owned a silver-plated King with 4 rotary valves and a 3-valved bell front---probably a Conn.) He was recommended to me by a couple of his students from the Gary, Ind. area (both wonderful players) whom I had met at a summer program for high-school students at Northwestern University.

It was great to have an opportunity to work, consistently, with a professional musician at an affordable rate; I had taken some lessons with Jake, but could not afford him on a regular basis------Jake was charging $10.00 a lesson!!!!

Follow Ups: