Re: Speaking of Chicago Tubists.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on April 06, 2003 at 00:20:54:

In Reply to: Speaking of Chicago Tubists..... posted by Brent Herhold on April 04, 2003 at 15:04:32:

I remember him as Charlie Guse. I didn't know him that well personally, but in the hey-day of Arnold Jacobs in the CSO, I went to a performance of Salome at the Lyric Opera. Inge Borkh (who had recorded the final scene and excerpts from Elektra with Reiner and the CSO) sang the title role, and Solti conducted. Charlie blew my mind. I couldn't believe what a totally wild-ass part that was, and as a barely intermediate high school tubist, I couldn't imagine how anyone could play it. I still think it would be a major woodshed project for any player.

I asked Charlie about that, and he was very off-hand. He said, as well as I can recall. "Kid, you think the tuba part is hard? Can you imagine how much harder the strings parts are, the woodwind parts, the singing??? Believe me, the conductor's got a LOT on his plate before he gets to the tuba part."

Charlie played 2nd tuba in the second of Reiner's two Zarathustra recordings (the 1962).

Follow Ups: