Re: Re: Mahler 5

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on April 06, 2003 at 13:12:35:

In Reply to: Re: Mahler 5 posted by Gary Press on April 05, 2003 at 17:13:31:

I agree with Gary's comment in regards to Ozawa's 5th - it's not one of the better items of the cycle. However, I disagree in regards to some parts of Ozawa's cycle. The third is one of the very best ones I've ever encounted, and it's the best recorded (best sounding) item in Ozawa's cycle. You can hear Chester very clearly on this one. He's also great in the 6th, but that's the poorest recorded item in the cycle, and it was coupled to the 3rd in a three-disc set. If you can find this 3-disc set used, grab it! It's worth it for the third alone, and there's no problem hearing Chester in the 6th. The first, fourth, seventh, and ninth - all of these were real good as well.

There's an earlier Ozawa/BSO first (1977) on DG Eloquence, that comes with "Blumine" inserted into its original second movement position. That's my first recommendation for the first symphony, as it sells for all of $8, and comes with one of the middle period song cycles too. It's great.

In addition, Ozawa re-recorded the "Resurrection" (#2) for Sony Classical with the Saito Kinen Orchestra from Japan. It's a big improvement over his BSO one, which wasn't bad by any means. In fact, this is now one of the very best M2's going. No problem hearing the Japanese tuba player at all - he's great.

In sum, I think that Ozawa is about as good as anybody for the first four symphonies - the so-called "Wunderhorn" period from Mahler. I also think that his 9th is just about as good as any I've ever heard. No problem hearing Chester on that one either! Ozawa's 8th was musically very good, but suffered from being a very earlier digital recording. I'd like to see him re-record the 8th in Japan someday.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: