Re: Re: Re: Re: Intonation Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh on April 08, 2003 at 17:57:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Intonation Help posted by Steve Oberheu on April 08, 2003 at 17:13:03:

I TOTALLY agree with what Steve said about the Verne Reynolds book. This book has it all! I found my copy in a random box of old horn music in a local music shop last summer. It's been out of print for several years, but your library may have it, or a horn professor. If you do find it, find another player that is solid and that can be patient......this book will drive you nuts!!! But it is sooo worth it!

Mr. Reynolds also has a book of intonation exercises for brass quintet that I'm curious to look at some more. At just glancing, it was very similar to the horn book.

Just remember, the tuner is for fixing problems or to be used as a reference point when practicing. Understanding the harmonic series and the idiosyncrasies of your instrument is necessary to play well in tune with others, moreso than always being "in tune" with the tuner. And remember, you've got set of "tuners" on either side of your head to help you out!

Good luck and hope this helps!

Follow Ups: