A very interesting dilemma...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SHS Tubamaster on April 08, 2003 at 20:10:45:

Perhaps the 187 was a bad idea after all, even though it's a wonderful horn. It has caused a problem, namely that my section now sounds like one tuba with some sharp overtones. Our band director is a freak about uniformity, going so far as to make players change their horns in order to blend in better, appearance-wise, with their section, even if the horn was a Bach Strad trumpet. Now, with the 187, he has made my section mate switch to a Jupiter 378. This is a stark contrast to the sound of the 20J and the 187, which actually blended very well with each other. Now it's mostly 187, with cracking from the Jupiter whenever the dynamic gets above a forte, which in our band is fairly loud. This wouldn't be an issue if our band didn't have 85 members, more or less, with two tubas. Adding to this strain is the fact that the band is going to Ohio state competition in 3 weeks. What is the best way to solve this? My senior section mate could care less about what he plays, just as long as he's not paying for it. My band director could care less about it, just as long as the two horns look the same. This Jupiter has serious intonation issues. I'm only concerned because I can support the band, but two pieces we play have fff dynamics, and I'm not quite capable of controlled notes at that volume. Input is appreciated.

SHS"who can only practice so loud these days, with a parent recuperating from surgery"Tubamaster

Follow Ups: