Re: Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on April 16, 2003 at 00:27:33:

In Reply to: Re: Horn advice posted by Tony Clements on April 15, 2003 at 19:38:27:

Tony,

I think your advice for the poster is correct. A 4/4 makes much more sense than a 6/4 for poster at this stage.

However, I think you've put the BATs in too small of a box in saying that they're "REALLY only good" for big orchestras and bands.

A while back I put up a post inquiring as to players who use a 6/4 in a quintet. A number of regulars on this board do it and like the sound, as have a number of well respected professionals over the years. Mouthpiece selection and technique can make a BAT a wonderful choice for quintets.

BATs are also being used by some of the best tuba quartets for the Tuba 2 part. Sotto Voce, for example, frequently uses the 6/4 CC Nirchl on Tuba 2 for their live performances.

Over the years, I've heard some wonderful solos on the big tubas. Jim Self, for example, has released some terrific solo's using "Monica" (I wish he'd use it more often). In reviewing the liner notes, I see that Gene Pokorny uses the big tuba quite frequently in his solo work. Personally, there are a lot of solos that I'd rather play on my 6/4 than on any of the smaller horns I've owned (not all, of course).

Again, I think you're right on the money for the poster. But, I'm not so quick to dismiss the 6/4 horns from quintet, TTEE, or solo applications, or to conceed that using a 6/4 in these applications isn't "REALLY" a good choice.

Tony E

Follow Ups: