Re: Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on April 17, 2003 at 15:42:28:

In Reply to: Re: Horn advice posted by Tony Clements on April 17, 2003 at 14:14:32:

Tony,

I see you're following the thread below.

A couple points on Sotto Voce since I used them in an example. I mentioned Sotto Voce as frequently using a Nirchl 6/4 CC on Tuba 2 and 4/4 on Tuba 1 in their live performances. I got this info from Mike Forbes in an e-mail. I should mention that they prefer to record with both Tuba 1 & 2 playing 4/4 CC Hirshys. On the other hand, they also will perform with a bass tuba for tuba 2, and 3 euphs. I don't want to mislead anyone by my reference to think that they ONLY use the 6/4 on tuba 2.

Yes, Gene is an extreme example. But haven't quite a few players used the big horn/small mouthpiece combo over the years with good results in smaller ensembles? Perhaps this is more legend that fact. What's your take on this? I guess what I'm wrestling with is this notion of "proper" vs. "improper" as opposed to "can work well but hard to do". Isn't this on some level an artistic choice and tied directly to tone concept? Perhaps you could clarify where you think artistic choice stops and "proper" starts.

Thanks for your comments,

Tony E

Follow Ups: