Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Smaller CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 19, 2003 at 16:57:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Smaller CC posted by Hank on April 19, 2003 at 08:52:30:

Dale's B&M, as well as the example at Baltimore Brass and my own York Master, is a much larger instrument in every dimension but bell diameter than the G-50 or the small Conn. I would suggest that the B&M's are closer to a Meinl-Weston 2000 or 2155-sized instrument than either a 2145 or a Getzen G-50. In today's world, where the smaller instruments are called 4/4, the B&M's are really 5/4.

As to blowing characteristics, I can't say that there's that much consistency in any case. The Holton has a larger fourth-valve bore and that valve has to be blown careful to maintain a solid tone. That instrument is, on the whole, more resonant, with better clarity and easier flexibility than the B&M. With the Holton, you can wail but you have to be careful on the low fourth-valve notes because they won't tolerate too much pressure. The effect is similar to my Miraphone 186, but for different reasons and with a much different resulting sound.

The York Master, on the other hand, has a fourth valve that is just marvelous, and low notes that use it blow as easily as the rest of the instrument. The low F moves earth, and can take anything you can give it. No special technique is required.

But in terms of tonal coloration, the YM is more like the Holton than either are like the Miraphone.

When you get right down to it, different horns are different, even if they have similar bits here and there. If you are going to own and play several instruments, you have to learn them all.

Instead of picking horns that are similar for one reason or another, I have always chosen instrument that did what I wanted them to do in the target application at the time. I don't care if my little F feels different than my BAT, because the music I play on it is different.

Rick "who has thoroughly enjoyed every G-50 he has played" Denney

Follow Ups: