Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Smaller CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hank on April 20, 2003 at 19:05:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Smaller CC posted by Rick Denney on April 19, 2003 at 16:57:08:

In the original post that started this thread, lv said "I'm looking for a smaller horn to compliment a BAT"

My immediate reaction was (because of the fact he wants a CC and he already owns a BAT) that lv is looking for an orchestra job in the future. I may be completely wrong... and lv never re-entered the conversation, so we may never know.

I understand your idea, "I have always chosen instrument that did what I wanted them to do in the target application at the time".... you have a interesting set of colors in the horns you own that can cover almost any need. But for someone auditioning for an orchestra there is another important factor. He must have the ability to pick up each horn and, from the first note, sound 100% comfortable on the instrument. I don't know about you, Rick, but there is no way I could play an American piston BAT for any length of time and then immediately feel comfortable on a 3/4 RM. It would likely take a little while to get reaquainted with the German rotary feel.... surely enough time that I would play in a way that might get me eliminated at an audition. If lv is an aspiring orchestral musician, he should take this into consideration. In my experience, when going back and forth between the G-50 and an American BAT each is immediately comfortable for me. That's why I recommended that particular model as a choice to consider when trying smaller CCs.

If, on the other hand, he can plan days or weeks in advance which tuba to play and have time to work into the horn he chooses for an upcoming service, it doesn't matter as much what instrument he plays.

Henry "who needs to focus on the music, not wrestle instruments" Bogardus

Follow Ups: