Re: Cadenza Freedom?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick Sheridan on April 19, 2003 at 17:09:03:

In Reply to: Cadenza Freedom? posted by Mac Fish on April 14, 2003 at 19:13:16:

Hey gang!

I spoke with Jim several times about his cadenzas. Like MOST of the composers I've had the fortune to work with...they write cadenzas as a guide. Further - there isn't a composer that for the most part isn't delighted to hear of "editions" to their music - especially if something is more idiomatic. In fact, I can think of only ONE composer who was extremely pendantic about the approach to their music.

In the case of the Barnes - my editions (liberties - as you call them) were to either clear up harmonic "weirdness" or to bring even more excitement to the piece. Jim was in favor of all of them - and, in fact, has spoken to me about making some changes based on that.

Further - to play everything as written down to the last slur/articulation/dynamic marking is to put blind faith NOT in the composer, but the EDITION. If you've never been to an Allen Vizzutti clinic - he does a wonderful bit (truthful) about editions and how the dynamics/articulations/phrase markings often come to be on the printed page. It is a hap hazard and often random process. Again - most composers are delighted to hear idiomatic corrections to their music. (case in point - the Oxford Press edition of the VW - not even close to the original score in terms of the mechanics of music)

Bottom line - smart interpretations to music is all that is required. Cadenzas (unless in a recitative style, like the Wilhelm Concertino) are a chance to improvise upon thematic material found in the music. (sometimes even foreshadowing something to come)

FURTHER BOTTOM LINE - our instrument NEEDS smart/idiomatic presentations of ANY music we play in order to educate MOST of the world to the possibilities of what our instrument can do. Our instrument gains NOTHING by poor presentations (but faithful to the edition) that PROVE the stereotype. We've got to transcend what others think of the tuba to get beyond the stereotype. MOST composers need help in that regard as MOST of them have the stereotype we are trying to lay to rest.

Make music not criticism.

XOXOXO,
Pat

Follow Ups: