Re: Re: king 2341 or meinl winston 25

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on April 26, 2003 at 07:56:35:

In Reply to: Re: king 2341 or meinl winston 25 posted by Mark F. on April 25, 2003 at 22:38:49:

of the two, go for the king without any hesitation.

You're a smart man, Mark, but I have to disagree with you here! I've only played 3 specimens of the new King 2341, and I think they're pretty good horns. Of the 3 specimens I played, though, not a one compares to the 6-to-8 MW25s I've played.

One school I teach at has 4 Meinl's and one King(acquired at the begining of this school year), so I've done a bit of side-by-side comparing. Both horns play very well, so I will not comment on the playing characteristics of either.

From a purely economic point of view, the Meinl is a very high quality horn with a very successful track record. The King is a pretty good quality horn with no track record as of yet. Construction of the Meinl is of MUCH higher quality than the King, and the brass is very obviously stronger on the Meinl. The 4 Meinls at the above mentioned school have been there at least 15 years and only one of them has needed any major repairs- after having a cinderblock dropped on it. I predict that the King will need a complete overhaul(the $3,000 kind) within 5 years.

This is only relevant in a public school setting, though. Taking the same characteristics into account, the Meinl Weston is noticably heavier than the King. This wouldn't affect my decision on these horns, but it might be a factor you're concerned about.

Now, as far as sound(the most important part, right?). I honestly can't imagine anyone buying a King after hearing the Meinl Weston. I hear both of them on a weekly basis and could easily pick them out blindfolded. The Meinl Weston sound is absolutely gorgeous. Very distinctive. Very aurally pleasing. The sound of the King does not possess any qualities that I believe make it stand out.

I strongly suggest that you(the original poster) play both horns, and LISTEN to someone else play both horns. The Meinl is the kind of horn that makes me love playing the tuba, and is a horn that I plan on owning someday when I can afford to own a half dozen tubas. Whichever way you go you'll be getting a good tuba- what it comes down to in the end is what you prefer. Best of luck!

fwiw

Anthony

Follow Ups: