Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Performance vs. Education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe B. on August 30, 1999 at 17:10:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Performance vs. Education posted by Jim on August 28, 1999 at 07:09:56:

You know what's important in life?? FOR ME, it's not how I earn my daily bread, but what I do with the remaining 75% of my life, and how much I can afford to do with it. What's important for me is providing for my family a lifestyle filled with interesting, educational, and fulfilling experiences; being able to help others out once in a while; knowing that I'll not be a burden to my children, because I've provided for my needs when I am too old to work at any job. Now, if what's important to you is different, that's fine, but don't run down a reasonable pursuit of money -- I've found that my mortgage company, electric company, and grocery store all expect money, not a virtuoso performance of Bydlo. The really blessed ones are those who have rolled the dice and wind up as primaries in major orchestras or popular in studios, because they can truly 'have it all', but I was not willing to risk these other things that ARE MOST IMPORTANT TO ME in order to go for the brass ring. I also knew I didn't want to teach band, so PRESTO!! From Don Little's studio to a BA in computer science!

In conclusion, don't dare to assume that the things that are most important to you are the most important to others, and particularly don't think that the only people who will find happiness will find it as pro musicians. I for one would NOT be happy having to supplement my income flipping burgers, then coming home to explain to my kids why I can't afford to send them on the class trip because my Yorkbrunner needs a new lead pipe.

But I guess that's just me....

Follow Ups: