Re: Re: Re: Re: To get a CC, or not,that's the question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by *burp* on August 09, 2000 at 22:09:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: To get a CC, or not,that's the question posted by *sigh* on August 09, 2000 at 21:19:15:

Last December I FINALLY got a chance to use my new horn at the new hall in town,
I was very excited not only because the hall was new to me and I wanted to check it out, but because the tuba I wanted to use is special and like I said new to me and I was just basically pumped for the gig!
Well, the hall is nice, and I'm excited that we may become residents there.
The horn is every bit as much as I had hoped it would be, plus 400%, in other words I was very happy with the situation that eve and the way my big, new (to me) tuba played.
During the intermission I was approached by two gentlemen from central CA, who commented how nice it was to "hear a real tuba." wow

I thanked them, and finished the gig. In retrospect WHAT did they mean? Should I have asked? was it the giant tuba's brand name? finish? Commanding majestic sound? Blossom? Core? BBflat? CC? pate'? liverwurst? dare I ask was it...........me? NAWW it was 1/3 me and 2/3 the others in my section probably, and the fact that we worked hard to play as a section, listening to each other and balancing and paying attention to the experience. HOPEfully the gents were complimenting us on the music.
While all three of us played (that eve) CC tubas, they weren't matching beasties, not even close, in fact as disparate as you could imagine (for you equip't geeks, a 2145, a 186, and a Holton BAT) despite that, we made music, at least those two gentlemen seemed to think so.
I'll never have a big time pro gig as my day job, BELIEVE me I never will. I seldom play gigs to full houses, and usually the students sent my way to play with our ensemble are far "better" technically than I. Between us we got the compliment that eve on a rather demanding program. All that said, I enjoy the music. BUT when those strangers made the comment about "real tuba" ... it was partly a compliment for all three tuba-ists, and partly for the ensemble as a whole. How 'bout that, a volunteer ensemble, no competion/auditions-for-chairs concert band!

It is a privledge to have young growing players join silly old me in my community band,
often I even get a chance to watch them grow as young adults as well as musicians. Sometimes it is funny, like when they argue with the conductor about phrase marks being slurs. Sometimes it is maddening, like when they argue with the conductor about phrase marks being slurs.

Were it not for these young people I do not think I'd have been challenged to grow and try to improve on my tuba. They often seemed to parrot what our teacher has to say about equipment, practice, legato studies...you know tuba talk.

For some reason they listen to their teacher (I confess I seldom did) they practice a LOT (sadly I haven't that kind of time, and never practiced much when I WAS in school and had the time!) The last two kids are off now and going to great schools this fall, one in WA and one in IL, meanwhile I'll stay home and hope to see them at tuba christmas. That'll be nice. Thanks Cheryl, thanks Tom.

Follow Ups: