summer programs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on August 29, 2000 at 23:24:29:

Hi, everybody. I've had a few summers worth of diverse experiences, and I'm curious about some other things going on.

What do you guys/girls do (festivals, jobs, workshops etc.) during the summer? I'm a college student, but I'm sure anyone at any age who reads this board at least thinks about doing extra stuff in the summer.

At least in my case, i don't really want to hear about how wonderful aspen, tanglewood and for the HSers, interlochen are. I know. most of us already know. those who have gone to these programs never shut up about them, so we all know how great they are. what
about the other things?

my last few years....
Skyline Brass Institute: this is at James Madison u. in VA. the main focus is brass chamber music, the faculty is great and the host ensemble (the skyline brass) is an excellent large brass ensemble. this program is similiar to the Mendez institute, but focuses more on high-school students. there are older participants, though.

Rafael Mendez Institute: one-on-one with the summit brass. amazing. I played in sam pilafians' tuba ensemble (one hell of a tuba ensemble) played a master class for harvey phillips, and had my first lesson with dan perantoni. my quintet was coached dailey by the principal horn of the san fran opera orchestra, and the other participants were nearly all excellent musicians. i went the last summer it was in arizona, what an amazing part of the country.

Disney college band (orlando): my summer was a little rocky with new management, but the band was very good and it is a decent summer paycheck. be ready to play sousaphone!

rome festival: nearly anyone who knows about this program, and especially those who went through it, have totally scathing remarks. yes, the director is an idiot and jerk. yes, the program is very poorly organized. yes, it is expensive if you can't get your fundraising going. but I had an amazing time in rome. as the tubist, you don't deal too much with management (it's much worse for the singers) and it is a way to keep playing while on vacation. rome is a miraculous place.

french woods festival (teaching at a performing arts camp): well, not many tuba/euph students at all. this is a great experience for mued people, though. it will test your ablilities to work with kids all the time. note: more than half the staff are internationals. you will play a lot if you have this job.

Follow Ups: