Re: Marching band-oh, what fun!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by hbs392 on August 04, 2001 at 06:26:10:

In Reply to: Marching band-oh, what fun! posted by Nick on August 03, 2001 at 23:54:25:

Do what you need to, no matter what! Especially if it is incredibly hot (over 90) like it has been around here, your teacher(s) should understand the need for drinking water, taking a rest, etc. Nothing is worth killing yourself over. You probably saw what happened to Korey Stringer from the Minnesota Vikings... so it even happens to guys who are (or should be) incredibly active all the time. I run in the heat, but am incredibly careful about the amount of time I put in outside. ALWAYS keep water handy, number one rule, at all costs.
As for your shoulder, I don't know about the heat having any more effect on pain than usual. If anything, heat is used to dull pain, so maybe it will have an opposite reaction! I haven't had necessarily any muscle pains associated with heat, but then again, I don't run with a 20K on my shoulder. My best advice regarding this aspect of your question would be to look up some good stretches that will loosen up your shoulders and arms. It can only help. Any light strength training might help as well, if you or someone has light weights lying around at home. Granted marching band is not forever, but it might help you feel better while you are "in-season."
I hope something here has been of help, but it may be all common sense you knew already!
Good luck! At least the heat will not pain your chops! (:

Follow Ups: