Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I agree with Bruce on August 06, 2001 at 12:40:08:

In Reply to: Comments from an old tuba player posted by Bruce H on August 06, 2001 at 09:43:02:

As far as the felt not heard I agree completely. There are some players who play "out in front" and others who are more supportive with their presence. My self I am a felt not heard kind of player and I would, of course, naturally gravitate to that sound. But just like young trumpet players, young tubists must go through the higher faster louder phase as well. I go to concerts to hear a brass section play balanced, in tune, and with style and sensitivity, basically I go to hear a musical performance not a tuba solo with orchestra accompaniment. I do believe that young players are getting caught up in a technology war when it comes to tubas. There are many fine players that contribute to this board with very strong opinions about a particular brand or tuba that works for them, but there are times when the younger player can be overtaken by someone else's opinion. To return to the golf metaphor, first you have to start out with garage sale clubs and learn to be good on that set, so that when you do buy your Callaway's or Taylor Mades, you understand completely why that is a better club.

Zac "Just my 2 cents" Spurlin
sorry Rick D. had to borrow your signature...

Follow Ups: