Re: Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce H on August 06, 2001 at 14:17:24:

In Reply to: Re: Comments from an old tuba player posted by I agree with Bruce on August 06, 2001 at 12:40:08:

It seems to me that everyone is taken by the technology and the musical skills are secondary now. Like I said, I have the pleasure to play with many younger players in the summer and everyone compares the technology of their horns and they can talk for ever about the pros and cons of the different diameters of lead pipes or mouthpieces etc. etc. But when it comes to playing the correct note in tune and with dynamics with the rest of the band, they are kind of clueless. It's not just tuba players either. Trumpets and 'bones do the same thing. I have to believe that the movement to the CC horn is a passing fad. Sure, CC horns will always be around but sooner or later the emphasis will get back to playing skills. Nobody should care what kind of horn you play as long as you play it well.

Maybe colleges and music conservatories are misleading their young tuba players. If your goal is to play tuba for a major orchestra that is a fine goal. I say go for it. Be careful of what you wish for, you just might get it. The job is not all it's cracked up to be. It can be pretty boring and tiring, especially when you are on tour. You play the same music night after night, you travel and stay in different hotels. Add union hassles to that and it's not fun after a while. You almost have to have a second, or third, job teaching or giving lessons because the pay is not that good. Universities graduate probably a hundred tuba majors each year and there are what, 30 professional orchestras in the U.S? A tuba chair opens up once in a blue moon. If you don't have the educational background with the right schools and experience you may not even get invited to audition. If that is your dream, follow it to the end. It is worth it. Just be aware of what you are getting yourself into.

Again, I enjoy the comments and different points of views on this board. I can tell there are some very experienced players that make pointed comments and I can tell there are a lot of players that have a point of view with very little experience to back their words. We can learn from them all.

Follow Ups: