Re: Re: Re: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 07, 2001 at 14:37:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old posted by Rick Denney on August 07, 2001 at 13:19:45:

Rick,
In his defense I think his only point of reference is a YBB-321, not exactly a sterling example of Yamaha's line. However, remember that this is the same person who wants to buy a PT because they look like they would be the best horn for him. However, he doesn't take lessons, and has never even played a PT anything. I have owned two Yamaha's and while I did enjoy some of their aspects they just weren't for me. However I agree that to call them trash is a huge mistake when one considers the line they have in the professional ranks, especially if they can ever add the 6/4 york copy to the line. The only problem with Yamaha is that they make cheap instruments that don't hold up to the abuse the American Children give to them. So, because of that we have a huge anti-Yamaha faction in the tuba realm. But I will always remember how one of the best (not just BBb) horns I ever played was a YBB-641 (rotary model) that was being sold by the Greater Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra probably because it wasn't a CC or because it had a few dents and Yamaha written on the bell.
Matt G

Follow Ups: