Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 07, 2001 at 15:12:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old posted by Matt G on August 07, 2001 at 14:37:18:

And the Yamaha YCB-661 at Dillon Music was one of the nicest rotary CC tubas I've played in a while. I said so to Matt, and he agreed.

The problem when the ineperienced start giving advice is that not everyone seeking such advice is enough of a regular to understand the advisor's inexperience. If he makes assertive statements, he might appear as authoritative as anyone else on a board like this. That's why we regulars sometimes have to jump in when statements that are plain wrong appear. BoomerSoonerGuy is not so young that he is too young to learn to speak accurately, from personal experience or his own direct knowledge, and with sufficient qualifications such that his opinions can be put in the proper context. For example: "The Yamaha 321 at our school seem like trash to me. It was out of tune on this note, stuffy on that note, and valves kept sticking..."

But even the 321 is not that bad. I started again on a Besson Stratford, which was as dented and damaged (in the 'good old days', no less) as any Yamaha I've ever seen that was still being played. I'd have taken a 321 in a heartbeat, and I would never have used the word "trash" to describe it.

Rick "asking the young-uns to wear their long pants" Denney

Follow Ups: