Re: Re: Re: The detriments of playing tuba in HS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce H on August 08, 2001 at 16:57:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: The detriments of playing tuba in HS posted by tracy h on August 08, 2001 at 16:38:03:

Excellent points. I remember the solo I played for state contest 25 years ago. I remember the solo but the title of it escapes me right now. The point is, it was an awful piece. The title of the piece was so embarrasing (something like "Tubby the Tuba and the Tugboats") that I almost chose not to play it. That was the only tuba solo my band conductor had in his inventory. I went to a big highschool with a major music program. I did not have the knowledge in highschool to know how to seek out good tuba music. It wasn't until college that I discovered that there was a whole world of cool music for the tuba just waiting to be played. I hope things have improved since then.

If someone took the time to market cool sounding solos and quartets, for all levels of playing, to highschool players they would have the market to themselves. It would also improve the level of highschool tuba players.

Follow Ups: