Re: Re: The detriments of playing tuba in HS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tracy h on August 08, 2001 at 16:38:03:

In Reply to: Re: The detriments of playing tuba in HS posted by Tuba ensembles on August 08, 2001 at 14:14:07:

At my school we tried to get a Tuba Quartet going, but the band director said there wasn't any music for one so we never did it. Then two tubas went off to do a Tuba/euph quartet and it was just awful music. It sounded like a bunch of german plains flying at random speeds. I don't think anyone really had the melody. Now, I know these people playing it weren't fabulous musicians, but geez, we need better music high schoolers are capable of playing. If someone can pick up a guitar and play for a week and learn a cool song that's fun to play, how come tubas have to wait until they can work up to Haddad or Blazhevich standards?

It's just irritating how flutes and clarinets have millions of choices of music, each one titled "Allegro...blah blah blah" and we have one or two in our library called "The Jolly Sailor" and "The Happy Tug Boat" or whatever. Highschool students aren't good because no one expects them to be good.

I don't know, maybe it's just my school.

Follow Ups: