Re: Helicon I.D. - modification

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 09, 2001 at 16:01:22:

In Reply to: Helicon I.D. - modification posted by Steven on August 09, 2001 at 15:27:34:

The 2nd valve loop measurement points towards the pitch being BBb.

Only an experienced repairman with a profound overview of available spare parts can tell you, whether this instrument is worthwhile as a project. And I would guess, that he should be allowed to put hands and caliper on the instrument, before he would dare a qualified reply.

Even if I am beyond marching age, I am not against sousaphones. After all I have as many sousas as tubas. But I am somewhat biased against helicons.

Not for musical reasons, but because most helicons are in one piece. Which make them pure devils to transport. Sousas taken apart are bulky in 2D. Helicons are bulky in 3D, which is much worse.

The Contrabass list recently had a thread regarding helicon cases, where a correspondent told, that even the single remaining helicon maker, Cerveny, has given up on making such cases. For economical reasons.

The only helicon, that I would consider for myself, is not available. Because it has been (re-)constructed for one specific player by himself.

If you want to learn playing a low brass instrument, then my advise would be to get a pretty standard model. And a specimen, that will not make your upstart period full of hazards.

Klaus

Follow Ups: