Re: Re: Willson 5v Eb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 11, 2001 at 07:18:43:

In Reply to: Re: Willson 5v Eb tuba posted by a hypothetical (or 2) on August 11, 2001 at 00:51:58:

Thanks for clarifying the model number, I always seem to forget about the smaller compensating Willson Eb tuba when thinking about the 3400S. Regarding telling the difference between the old ones and the new ones, I can't help much there. Maybe Marty Erickson, who posts on this BBS, can explain the differences in detail. The folks who told me about the changes simply said they "changed the design a little" without going into specifics. To be honest, the new one I purchased didn't look all that different to my eyes but it had been a number of years since I played the older model so maybe I'm not remembering exactly what the older horn looked like. For me, the major difference was the intonation, which was remarkably improved on the newer one. Also, I felt the response was a bit better. Of course, both of those differences could be explained by the normal differences between any two horns but I'm choosing to give Willson the benefit of the doubt in assigning them credit for the improved performance of the newer horns. My horn came with two slides for the 5th valve to allow for either configuration, long whole tone or sharp two whole tones.

Regarding where to try them out, isn't there a big dealer in the outback that sells these horns? I would be surprised if there wasn't, what with all the brass bands and fine tubists in Australia. If you had to go out of country to get them, I'd guess either the factory or Brasswind here in the states. Brasswind usually carries a number of tubas of a given model they sell so I'm guessing they would have at least two or three to choose from. Mike Russo at Brasswind is a pretty straight shooter and if you send him an email (he posts on this BBS as well) he can give you the current scoop at Brasswind. My experience has been that Brasswind's service and prices are hard to beat.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: