Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Katy on August 15, 2001 at 16:24:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Mark Wiseman on August 15, 2001 at 11:29:09:

With all due respect, I'm not sure that there exists a part for any instrument that is "unchallenging". If something seems boring or easy, then educators, players, and students need to dig a bit deeper. I can't tell you how many times I've told my low brass to "sing" their whole note line. My goodness! They are boring ONLY if played that way! It is up to the performer to interpret each musical line. There is something to be said and learned from by each and every note put on the page.

Tuba, without a doubt, is the foundation of the band. Much like a foundation of a house, if you get too fancy, you may actually harm what lies above it. Same with composing tuba parts for a band piece that "get too fancy" (whoa am I ever opening myself up to flaming here!). If all tuba parts were like trumpet parts and vice-versa, we'd have an ugly sounding foundation. Now, please do not misinterpret my words. I do not believe that tubists should only learn whole, half, and quarter notes because that is all that should appear in the music. My point being two-fold:

1). Each instrument in the ensemble has it's function. Hopefully, great composers break out of that function occasionally to continue developing the abilities of the instrument. That being said, functions of each instrument need to, in general, stay the same. (I wonder why that is...another thread perhaps?) Because of this:

2). Tubists and others who carry the foundation (and not as *technically* difficult) lines need to search and dig in order to bring out the OPTIMUM execution of that line. I refuse to believe in anything becoming mundane. It only becomes mundane if you allow it to.

I work really hard in getting ALL of my students (especially the tuba-horn "oompah" players) to understand the importance of all parts in our ensembles. Every part is so crucial to the complete creation. Hopefully that creates more musical players in the end.

My two dollars worth.
-Katy

Follow Ups: