Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Crider on August 15, 2001 at 21:20:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Katy on August 15, 2001 at 16:24:05:

I hate to be contentious, but I'll have to reaffirm my earlier post: if you are in a band that generally plays lower-level music, tuba parts are often unbelievably dull. I agree that you can put your heart and soul into wringing every last drop of musicality from every note and every line that you play. However, sustained whole notes ad infinitum, entire songs that never go much beyone an octave in range and which present no technical challenge whatsoever are JUST BLOODY BORING!!! This is always a particular problem for good players in fair or mediocre bands; they just get bored to death with the lack of challenge no matter what their instrument, and the nature of tuba parts makes it even worse for tubaists. To deny this is to stick your head in the sand and just wish the problem would go away. It won't; the only cure is to carefully select music for challenge and interest for as much of the band as is possible, not just the clarinet and trumpet sections.

Follow Ups: