Re: Loose tone ring threatening my sanity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 16, 2001 at 05:40:36:

In Reply to: Loose tone ring threatening my sanity posted by Stefan Kac on August 16, 2001 at 02:41:12:

Being a collector of brasses not wanting to spend too much on repaimens researches can teach one a trick or two about narrowing down any problem.

You seem to have catched up pretty well on this already by your touch procedures.

My approach to a problem like yours would be to make a tiny wedge of a non-smudging and non-adhesive material. Because a pollution of the problem area will make any potential soldering difficult. A plain, square matchstick sliced at a rather flat angle would be my first solution.

You have a pretty good idea, where the problem area is. Try to place the wedge in the gap between the bell and the bell ring. Make sure that no excessive force is applied. And make sure that enough of the wedge stays in the open. You should be able to pull the wedge without problems.

If you can make the rattling disappear by means of the wedge, then you have given any repairman a good clue of where to place a beating of his hammer. Or where to place a solder blop. The choice is one of the repairman’s.

Klaus

Follow Ups: