Re: Re: German F theories

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 29, 2001 at 11:22:32:

In Reply to: Re: German F theories posted by Lee Stofer on August 29, 2001 at 09:35:44:

Lee,
I personally agree with you. I find that I prefer German made F's to other styles by a huge margin. I have played a good variety of them and find that even on the worst ones that a proper mouthpiece yeilds much better results. Mainly a cup/bowl shape to the interior of the mouthpiece over the funnel shape seems to help tremendously as does a smaller throat and quicker backbore flair. The cup diameter seem to make no difference except for personal ones. The smaller throat/quicker taper seem to open up the register in question to a large extent. Some of us Contrabass guys start on F tuba using too big of a mouthpiece and it hinders our performance greatly. I have owned a YFB-621S and had good success using it, however, after listening to it in recitals playbacks and using it in ensembles, I determined it sounded too much like a "piggy" CC than an F. Plus, the register in question was freer blowing than the 188-5U I had at the time! But now, if and when I buy an F again, I will buy a German made horn and figure it out so that it works. I am just curious as to what others think makes this group of horns have such a fabled mystique.
Matt G

Follow Ups: