Re: TRYING Eb TUBAS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on August 08, 2002 at 13:45:08:

In Reply to: TRYING Eb TUBAS posted by jon schultz on August 08, 2002 at 11:22:27:

Jon,

I concure with your thoughts on the Willson Eb. The low notes are relatively fat, but it's really more like a 3/4 CC with Eb fingerings. The thing also weighs a ton. My initial impression is this: think of a big 3/4 size Hirsbrunner CC (or small 4/4) with Eb fingerings.

As an fyi, I recently picked-up the Willson Eb that Christopher Lair had for sale. I think that this is simply not the right horn for me. Either that, or I'd have to dump a fair amount of money to make it work for me, not least of which would be lowering the lead pipe a bit. Russ Dickman, tubaist in the Reno Phil., is currently borrowing the horn from me. He also thinks that the original leadpipe may have been altered. Not only does it sit rather high up on the bell, but the receiver is pointing somewhat upwards. My guess is that somebody very tall once owned this horn. If I were to keep it, I would also have the 5th valve tubing extended so that the 5th valve would sound the tritone low A-natural, just like on the Gronitz Eb set-up. Sorry, but I just can't deal with complicated fingerings with big, wide spread valves. Big hands would help. I think that this may be a Nirschl valve set - not sure.

Therefore, if anybody wants to make me an offer, I'm all ears. I may establish a firm price later, but I want to see what Russ thinks of this horn as well. I'd also entertain a trade for a Besson 983 (make it a good one), plus some cash. This horn is silver plated, and comes with a Willson hard case with wheels on the bell end. I'm a gig bag man, mayself. Why do so many folks like these big, bulky hard cases? I could see it, if one were storing a 6/4 BAT.

Barry Guerrero; Reno, NV

Follow Ups: