Re: Re: Eb Bass, which one?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by kenk on August 10, 2002 at 21:00:04:

In Reply to: Re: Eb Bass, which one?! posted by Klaus on August 10, 2002 at 17:39:02:

My experiences with the two tubas has been that the B&H has a much nicer tone due to its heavier metal (I think). It may not be as nice to live with, meaning it may have a few quirky notes or it may be heavier than the Yamaha. If possible, play them both together in a large room with someone else listening to you from the other end of the bell to help you decide. Both instruments are well made and of good quality. I am personally partial to the B&H since I play a 1970's version myself. I have had the leadpipe changed over to the full sized 981-like variety so now I can use the larger shanked mouthpieces and it has helped my extreme registers both high and low surprisingly. If you would like I would be happy to email you some photos of my horn with the miodifications. Email me privately if you would like. I have included my addresss above. I also have had a Stewart Stand permanently mounted to the horn to help with the position of the mouthpiece and to help hold it. Getting a new horn (at least new to you) is always exciting. Best of luck to you with it.
ken k

Follow Ups: