Re: Re: Re: Eb Bass, which one?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on August 10, 2002 at 23:30:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Eb Bass, which one?! posted by kenk on August 10, 2002 at 21:00:04:

. . the more I keep playing other tubas, the more I keep coming back to Bessons. They may be brutes to play, but the tone is usually to die for. I keep playing these horns that are supposed to be so wonderful, and their sound often times just has no character to me. Maybe it's just me, because I can't play those bloody Helleberg funnel things. That said, the two Grontiz CC's that Low Brasswerks had stocked (PCM; PCK), are the two best tubas I've ever played that weren't Bessons. I just wish that the Gronitz Eb wasn't a short "piggy" with a pancake bell. I like their tritone A-natural setup for the 5th valve, combined with its easy access to the 2nd valve tuning slide. At this point, I may not be a huge fan of the Willson Eb, but at least its bell sticks up in the air a good ways. An Eb tuba needs that, I think.

Go with the Besson. They're also a lot more dent resistant. Just have the nylon valve guides installed, and then keep the valves clean and well oiled. I should follow my own advice.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: