Re: King 2341 mouthpiece selection/odd shank

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 20, 2002 at 11:46:01:

In Reply to: King 2341 mouthpiece selection/odd shank posted by Kenneth Sloan on August 20, 2002 at 09:48:10:

The King receiver has a dual taper to accept a wider variety of mouthpieces, or at least that's how Matt explained it to me (or how I heard it). It looks a little strange to me, too.

I would take a vanilla mouthpiece that you know well. That's what I do. Often, I take my two Doug Elliotts (a T-6 and an R-4, but both with the same rim). These provide a range of options and I know how they feel on other instruments. Before I bought the Elliotts, I'd try horns out with a Conn Helleberg. That mouthpiece seems least likely to be a complete mismatch for most any tuba. A Bach 18 would be a similar choice, if your mouthpiece go that direction (which I don't think they do). The PT-48 or Rose Orchestra that I was using most of the time before the Elliotts were a little more specialized, it seemed to me. My limited trial experience with the Kings is that they are not particularly sensitive to the mouthpiece as some tubas can be. Of your mouthpieces, I can't see how the Elliott would create any problems.

Rick "who is probably insensitive to mouthpiece effects on trial horns in any case" Denney

Follow Ups: